ANST - request: bookbinders ....

Christopher D. Baran rrhms at texoma.net
Tue Dec 1 06:59:24 PST 1998

----------
From: 	Damon Huse
Sent: 	Monday, November 30, 1998 11:47 PM
To: 	ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG
Subject: 	Re: ANST - request: bookbinders ....

j'lynn yeates wrote:

> anyone out there working in bookbinding ???
>
> just received a long-sought, rather valuable, out of print work that i would
> like to put in a well made, protective slip case ... have several other
> valuable books that i would like to do the same with, so would like to make
> contact with the right people
>
> 'wolf
>
> ... When we hunt, we all function with one mind
> ... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves

	In Mundane life I am a Director for a Museum and have had extensive experience in dealing with deteriorating materials and I would say that you have two basic options.

	1.  Store the item in more ideal conditions by using an acid free book box, store the book lying flat instead of on end, and keep it out of the sunlight.  DO NOT store it in a plastic bag.  Plastic has things called plasticisers in it (thus the name plastic) that will damage the glue, paper, and fibers of the book if stored there for a bit of time.

	2.  Take the book to a binder or cut a deal with your local library where they could repair the book, (some libraries have qualified staff who do this for a price) or see if they will include your book in the next batch to the binders so you could get a price discount.

	Centurion Romanius Scipio Vesperanius