ANST - Bookbinder

Margo Lynn Hablutzel Hablutzel at compuserve.com
Wed Dec 2 05:13:42 PST 1998

j'lynn yeates wrote:

> anyone out there working in bookbinding ???
>
> just received a long-sought, rather valuable, out of print work that i
would
> like to put in a well made, protective slip case ... have several other
> valuable books that i would like to do the same with, so would like to
make
> contact with the right people
>
> 'wolf

There is an excellent bookbinder and repairer in private practice who can
probably help. His name is Jim Downey and he is located in Columbia,
Missouri.  He takes things by mail (because I have mailed things to him and
gotten them back)  Yes, it can be expensive to repair an old book, but he
does only what is necessary to preserve the book (or paper, or whatever)
and he discusses all the options with you thoroughly beforehand, with the
estimated cost (which I've found is generally higher than I pay).  His
opening price is $40.00 and it can go up if the book is badly battered; you
pay hourly plus materials.

Maybe in Elfsea you have to wait until a book is falling apart, but I have
found that repairing the book earlier prevents is from falling apart, and
thus saves you considerable money later.  Also, Jim is willing to do a
single book for a private individual and does not demand that you come in
only when you have a huge lot of material for repair.  You do have to agree
to wait your turn on his schedule, however.  This is a business and not a
hobby for him, and runs about 2-3 months delay.

As a side benefit, his shop does conservation-quality framing, but I think
you have to take your scroll there because he will not ship with glass for
safety reasons.  But SCA folk get 10% off when framing scrolls.

You can contact him through the website, which also has information about
the conservatory and some of his credentials:

                Legacy Art & Book Works
                http://www.legacyart.com

His personal email address is:  jdowney at mail.coin.missouri.edu

BTW, the "Art" part of the name is because they are also an art gallery,
and this time of year they have lots of WAY KEWEL things to give as gifts,
many of which are made by people in the SCA (and many not).  In the past, I
have gotten handwoven and handyed scarves; handblown (well, mouthblown)
glass baubles for the tree; and looked over the funny little faces and the
neat chess sets.  My walls at home have a number of pieces of art and
photography from there.  And you can buy handmade blank books for whatever
purpose (I don't because I can make my own) and cards and hand-marbelled
papers and.....

                                        ---= Morgan

           |\     THIS is the cutting edge of technology!
           |/   Morgan Cely Cain * Hablutzel at compuserve.com
                     Barony of the Steppes * Ansteorra
                        (and sometimes in Atlantia)
                          daytime: margolh at nt.com