ANST - How to tell if you have zinc?

Mike and Pat Luco mikel at pdq.net
Tue Dec 8 17:01:54 PST 1998

 Zinc is a fairly reactive metal.  Most acids will etch it.  If you get some
dilute pool acid (muratic) and apply it to several metals zinc will fizz most
heartly.  While silver, gold, stainless steel and others will languish and result
in no activity.  Aluminum will also fizz with dilute muratic acid (HCl for those
chemists) as soon as the oxide layer is penetrated, usually several minutes.

Iron will release its electrons freely in the presence of oxygen and moisture (yes
even humidity counts) to produce rust.  The reason zinc coats iron is to capture
those excess electrons and keep them from rusting the iron.

> The biggest tell-tail sign
> that you have a piece of galvanized metal is that it will film up with a
> yellowish powdery looking substance that doesn't wipe off.  Don't use this as a
> test.  I know there is a safer way, but I can't remember it and can't find my

Henri and Antea
Kingdom of Ansteorra, Barony Stargate
Purveyors of fine herbs and spices
http://www.hypercon.com/naturalhome