ANST - [Fwd: Fwd: Please read this <fwd> (fwd)]

ROBB, AARON D. ROBBAD at dall0886c.dlls.tdprs.state.tx.us
Tue Dec 15 13:43:00 PST 1998

OK folks, I don't want to be a wet blanket during this holiday giving time,
but THIS IS A HOAX.

I just spoke with the American Cancer Society to verrify that they are NOT
"donating 3 cents" for every letter sent. In fact they did not have any info
on any drive for a "Tamara Martin".

While it may seem like a nice thing to forward this type of letter to
everyone you know, and listservs where hundreds of people will read it,
doing so without verrifying the content is irresponsible. This letter is
similar to the "Good Times" Virus Hoax, the "Bill Gates is giving away $5k
to the first 5000 people" Hoax, etc. Well meaning people send information
that they  don't take the time to check on.

If you don't believe me call 1-800-ACS-2345 to reach the American Cancer
Society. They do not do these type of "fund raisers", nor, really is it
technically possible for them to track the number of times this letter has
been sent.

Sending these letters hurts legitimate fund raising efforts for worthy
causes. People begin to distrust legitimate requests for donations, or worse
think they are helping donations when they are actually spreading
misinformation. Chain letters take up computer resources and waste the
recipient's time.

Please do not send chain letters of this sort without checking with the
alleged "Sponsor" organization. In a decade of both fund raising and
internet use I have never seen a legitimate letter of this sort.

Finally, what does this letter have to do with the SCA, or the Kingdom of
Ansteorra in particular?

YIS,

Philo Alexander

MKA