ANST - Warning for Chainmail crafters

Clarence & Lynn Bell lynnb at wtrt.net
Sun Dec 6 21:10:49 PST 1998

Hi to all of you who make chainmail,
A warning just came out in the Orchid jewelers list about the dangers of
working with galvanized metals, in particular, galvanized steel wire.  It
seems that the zinc used to galvanize the wire is easily absorbed through
the pores of the skin as is  dissolves form the acids in perspiration.  If
you work with the galvanized wire rings for an extended period, you are at
risk to develop a type of heavy metal poisoning from the zinc that causes
fever, light-headedness, and other flu-like symtoms.  This will pass with
bed rest and aspirin therapy in about a week.  I am keeping a file off list
for anyone who wants more information about this that I can send via e-mail
if you contact me directly.  I was alarmed when I read this since it
explains some of recurrent bouts of apparent flu that a friend of mine keeps
having.  He is going to consult a doctor and find out more.  I don't want to
alarm anyone, but I felt the warning should be passed on for the safety of
our people.

Lyrial the Untamed
MKA Lynn Bell
Crystal Legends