ANST - garb question

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Mon Dec 28 02:26:51 PST 1998

This question was asked:
><< We have introduced a teenaged girl into the SCA recently.  She is looking
>for a culture/persona that will allow her to wear pants, rather than dresses,
>as she is more comfortable in them.  Can you please suggest a time/place
where
>ladies did wear pants?  She is not interested in a male persona.

To which someone replied:
>My lady suggests that Norse or Mideast persona's might serve, I seem to
>remember other parts of the world that would serve as well.  I will try to do
>some research for you.  Good Luck!

Norse women did not wear pants.  It was grounds for instant divorce
(including a lot of public shame and a huge financial burden in the
division of property) if a woman did wear pants.

It is possible that Norse women may have been wearing some sort of leggings
or "bloomers" under their dresses, since the source which describes the
divorce based on a woman wearing pants specifies "pants with gores in the
crotch like a man's".

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)