ANST - planning calendar

Alan Boertjens a0210687 at rlemail.dseg.ti.com
Tue Feb 3 10:48:52 PST 1998

Lord Larkin O'Kane wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Feb 1998 08:04:38 -0600, Alan Boertjens
> <a0210687 at rlemail.dseg.ti.com> wrote:
>
> >Time and distance are one and the same measurement, they are
> >interchangable.
> >
> >Its just a matter of convenience when to choose a 'time' or 'distance'
> >unit.
> >e.g. 1 second    <==> 3.00x10^8  meters
> >     1 minute    <==> 1.80x10^10 meters
> >     1 hour      <==> 1.08x10^12 meters
> >     1 day       <==> 2.59x10^13 meters
> >
> >e.g. 1 meter     <==> 3.33x10^-9 sec
> >     1 kilometer <==> 3.33x10^-6 sec
> >
> >~Johan
>
> Hmmm, so  the distance between here and Abiline varies, depending on how
> hard I step on the gas pedal? Try tellin that to the police office.
> "Honest officer, I wasn't speeding, I was just taking the shorter route
> to Abiline."

Not quite...its based on the speed of light (which is a universal
constant), not an individual's speed.

speed of light = c = 3.00x10^8 m/s

    3.00x10^8 m
c = -----------
       1 s

1 s = 3.00x10^8 m

This is why superlarge 'distances' are measured in light-'years',
and why smaller 'distances' are measured in 'distance' units.

Its just more convenient for that purpose.

You could say the distance/time from Dallas to Abilene is either
182.3 miles or 0.000979 sec.

Try this out...ask someone how far it is from where your at to
a store across town.  Quite a few people will respond by saying
something like, "about 5 minutes thataway".  The concept of
'distance' and 'time' are quite fuzzy. (of course the above axample
isn't based on the speed of light, otherwise that store is a looong
way away).

OK, I'll stop now, enough physics for 2.592x10^13 meters...
err... I mean, one day... :-)

~Johan