ANST - Uniforms at Wars

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Wed Feb 4 05:56:36 PST 1998

Lorraine said:
>How do ya'll feel about the striving for a 'uniform' look as an army
>as oppose to units within our kingdom that choose to use a completely
>different colour/ensign.

That's nice, except that medieval armies didn't wear uniforms -- that was
why they used heraldry.  If everyone was wearing a uniform, you'd know not
to shoot at them, hence no ned for personal identification.  I strongly
suspect that uniforms are a huge part of the reason that personal armory
went out of style.

Similarly, units carried banners so that they could form on their leader
(who was presumably near the banner) and find their fellows.  Again, not
necessary if you wear uniforms -- you just look for the guys wearing your
uniform and trot on over.

Warcries were used for the same purpose -- to keep units together and to
identify you to those who berserk a bit in battle so that you didn't fall
to "friendly fire."

Enough ranting, I am late for work!

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)