ANST - Explanation for Teleri (Central Region list)

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Wed Feb 4 16:19:30 PST 1998

---"Mitman, Rikki" <Rikki.Mitman at COMPAQ.com> wrote:
> This list hardly seems busy enough that a separate list is
> needed for one portion of Ansteorra. Admittedly, I'm
> relatively new to the list, and may be missing something,
> but why can't those event announcements, concerns, etc. be
> handled here? I guess my concern is that (at first
> glance) a separate regional list seems divisive. Of course,
> you may have excellent reasons for doing this -- and I'd be
> happy to be persuaded of them. Just an initial reaction...
> from someone in another region. :-)
> Teleri

Teleri, having intimately observed central since its inception (hard
not to, I'm the List Admin), I can assure you that some of the
traffic would have been extremely divisive if aired upon the general
Kingdom list. (Call it "growing pains", and ask myself or Galen of
Bristol or Richard Fairborne or any of the other observers about it
at an event some time...)

Consider also the various mail lists which focus on single branches
(Bryn Gwlad, Elfsea, and I'm not sure who else currently in
Ansteorra). I'd not think their local concerns appropriate for the
Kingdom list. Regions in Ansteorra are becoming increasingly
important in information flow and organizational structure, and
there are some topics that really should be focussed to a Regional
audience if possible.

The separate list is in no way intended to be a divisive tool. It is
intended to strengthen the Central Region, certainly, but it is my
opinion that by doing so the entire Kingdom will reap benefits that
can be dreamt of but not always predicted.

central is set up as "open", anyone may subscribe and participate.
Our  purpose will necessarily keep the focus on topics of more
import to Central Region, and I will personally encourage general
discussions with wider interest or worth to be re-directed to the
Kingdom list.

Specific example: we're collectively working through some issues
involved with setting up a regional calendar of activities (which I
personally envision as including most of what would appear on the
scheduling calendars for each of the branches in the Region, plus
Kingdom-calendar events). In the course of that work, there has been
a specific event conflict already discovered --
non-Kingdom-calendar, therefore knowledge of limited or no use to
the Kingdom as a whole.
One of the exchanges in that particular discussion I'm going to ask
about re-formatting / re-"casting" for wider distribution, however.
(Gunthar, I'll be talking to you about this *soon* ...)

Does that help address your concern?

===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com