ANST - Millennial Madness (was Re: Calendars)

Thu Feb 5 14:05:50 PST 1998

> Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:
> >
> > Ulf wrote:
> > > what do y'all know about the Millennial Madness of 1000 A.D.?
> >
> > I can't find anything in the alt.folklore.urban archives or FAQ,
> > so I have to go from memory: there was no Y1K madness; it just wasn't
> > a big deal.
> >
> > Daniel de Lincolia
>
> I was recently watching something on the history channel and I
> recall that the Y1K was a big deal.  I think it was on the
> "In Search of History: The Vikings" episode.  I don't recall
> what it specifically mentioned though.
>
> ~Johan

I've seen interpretations that say the coming of the Millenium was a great
and terrible thing.  I've seen interpretations that say the coming of the
Millenium was basically inconsequential.  The key point is that they are
interpretations by historians and historical populizers.

Who did these historians and writers reference?  What are the primary
sources?

If Millenial Madness occurred to the extent that some historians state, then
there should be references in the contemporary documents.

Bear