ANST - Interesting site... and poignant, too

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes moondrgn at bga.com
Tue Feb 10 17:56:17 PST 1998

At 10:37 AM 2/6/98 -0600, you wrote:
Sir Pendaran said:

>	Having said all of that, just what in blue blazes is up with those
>Routiers? Did some big bad SCA people beat them up or something? For
>crying out loud, I've haven't seen such petulance and childish hate
>and jealousy like that in years. We're their mortal enemies? Grow up!

To which I'll append some comments I made when this website came under
discussion on the Rialto a few months ago...

I found their notions of what the SCA actually is, to be both amusing
and insulting.

For example, they took two pictures from newspapers to represent
"typical" SCA armor and clothing. (And when was the last time you saw
a newspaper article about the SCA that was *completely* accurate?) SCA
heavy weapons swords, according to the site, are made from
broomsticks, the daggers used in rapier fighting are made from
cut-down foil blades, shields are invariably aluminum or plastic, etc.

They also have a collection of some of the more outrageous quotes
about the SCA, gleaned from the Rialto, but they completely ignored
any of the worthwhile information that is *also* available here. It's
a classic case of taking the worst examples available, and defining
them as the norm for the entire group.

Sigh. I'm not sure whether "severely clueless" or "malicious
disinformation" is a more accurate description of their notion of what
the SCA is, and how it differs from their own group.

        -Tivar Moondragon