ANST - re: arrow construction

harry billings psobaka at mail.myriad.net
Sun Feb 8 14:59:03 PST 1998

If fletching fiberglass shafts Sir Jon recomends putting a extra bead of
glue on each side of the fletch for added strength. If I make arrows for
some one else I do if they are for me I just one extra bead of glue.
Don Dore I forgot to tell you about the above himt hint.
>some questions ...
>
>* ... what are the fletching types?
A fletching jig is used to hold the fletches (feathers or vains) in place
while the glue dries.
>* ... difference in "straight" fletching over other?
two primary types of fletch for war arrows straight and helical ref. to the
way the fletch is placed on the shaft straight being in line with the shaft
and helical rapping around the shaft usaly 5 deg.
>* ... performance advantages / disadvantages of the types?
Straight adv. less drag dis. dose not offer as much stability. Helical adv.
more stability dis more drag
>* ... why is "straight" fletching required on fiberglass shafted
Straight is not required just that it is hard to put helical fletch on 1/4"
od shafts
>      combat arrows vs the other types of fletching?
I don't know as there is a best choise just whaet ever you like
>* ... what is ballpark cost of these jigs?
Asingle fletch jig will run about $40.00 a six fletch jig will run about $70.00
>* ... sources of these jigs?
F/S Discount Archery 800-824-8261 catalog; Bowhunters Discount Warehouse,
inc 717-432-8651 Cust serv.
>* ... are convertable (between types) jigs available?
You can get different clamps (what holds the fletch) for straigh, left or
right helical.
You use a left clamp for left wing and right clamp for right wing you can
use a straight clamp with either
>* ... good general sources on arrow construction?
You have sort of I have done this so long I can only guess Archers Bible or
some thing on those lines