ANST - fealty

ALBAN at delphi.com ALBAN at delphi.com
Thu Feb 12 09:11:47 PST 1998

I just joined this discussion, so if I could wedge myself in . . .

Alina said
>The answer(s) I seem to have gotten to my question have kinda been the
>same. When one gives oath or fealty, it is to the the position of the crown,
>not of the person who holds the crown. You can or not choose to do the
>oath to the person. I suppose the same goes for kingdom and/or local
>officers, whether or not they are kingdom or local.
>From the replies I've seen (which may not include all of them), I'd like to
add minor points:
1) Why do people swear fealty to the Crown during a court? Because it
serves to bind person to Crown, and Crown to person, in a way that
swearing an oath in private doesn't. It's for the same reason you get
married with witnesses, rather than just with the two participants and the
priest.
2) In period, you would not swear fealty to an abstraction like The Crown;
you'd swear fealty to the King. It was the person, not the office, that was
important, for, after all, how could An Office promise anything in return?
An abstraction couldn't lift a sword to defend you anywhere near as well
as the King could. . . Now, here in the SCA, people can say "Here do I
swear my fealty and do homage to the Crown of  <whatever>" without a
qualm, swearing to the abstraction and not to the person. It's an acceptable
(but not strictly historical) SCA tradition. . .
3) In several kingdoms, The Crown and the Baron/Baroness are not the
only people you can swear fealty to. There are examples within the SCA of
someone swearing fealty to a Bestowed Peer. Both parties have to agree
beforehand, of course; you couldn't just walk up to someone you admire
and swear service, fidelity, and the rest of the nine yards without being
sure he/she wouldn't mind. . . And such things cover a wide field of
expectations and ceremonies, all the way from "Here's a belt; I expect you
to learn from me" and "Yessir" to the other extreme of a period-oid Fealty
and Homage Ceremony, with the household in attendance, historical oaths,
pledges and promises made and accepted on both sides, feudal contracts
worked out, land exchanged for promises of garb. . . Sometimes they're
done in Court, sometimes not. Sometimes one or the other of the Crowns
may be in attendance, sometimes not. Sometimes the promises exchange
apply only within persona and within SCA functions, sometimes it spills
over to mundanity. There's a wide variety. . .

Alban St. Albans (Standing Stones, Calontir)