ANST - Veil material?

Phyllis Spurr Phyllis.Spurr at tdh.state.tx.us
Fri Feb 13 12:30:54 PST 1998

> From:          "Mitman, Rikki" <Rikki.Mitman at COMPAQ.com>
> Date:          Fri, 13 Feb 1998 13:02:15 -0600

> I generally play very early period, but will be wearing something 15th
> century at an upcoming event. I'd like to create a headdress to go with
> it, and have a good picture of one that appropriate from one of those
> "accepted" garb sources. (Sorry, don't have it here and can't remember
> the title.)

It's difficult to determine what would be best fabric to make a veil
of without knowing the style of the garment.

> There is a veil on this piece that will go about to my lower back. My
> first instinct was to choose a thin silk, so it would be light and
> fluttery, but I wonder whether a medium-weight fabric would be a more
> accurate choice. Any later-period garb experts out there care to offer
> suggestions?

Silk was used for headdresses, but more commonly used was a linen.

> Thanks very much,
>
> Teleri ferch Pawl

Hope this helps you...

Meistres Eowyn ferch Rhys
Barony of Elfsea, Ansteorra  (Fort Worth, Texas)
Central Regional Seneschal
e-mail:  Phyllis.Spurr at tdh.state.us
office phone:  (817) 264-4384
home phone:    (817) 460-1539