ANST - P-word lead-in

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Feb 16 12:58:09 PST 1998

Dennis and/or Dory Grace said something that sounded like:
> I've heard some folk
> talk about doing the 'donut-hole' thing like what it sounds like you're
> talking about, just for that very reason. A principality without any
> borders touching on another kingdom's borders could never become it's own
> kingdom, based on what I've heard about the Rules.

I don't know if they've passed something down, but it doesn't seem to be
in Corpora.

> I'm wondering if it's
> allowable for a principality to exist in that form, if it's not allowable
> for a kingdom to exist in that form. Anybody out there know?

The rules regarding this in Corpora are:

----
A kingdom is a sovereign entity within the Society which has the right
to select a ruling King and Queen by combat. A branch or contiguous
group of branches may petition for kingdom status if the resulting
entity would fulfill the requirements listed below.
----
A principality is a part of a kingdom which has the right to select a
reigning Prince and Princess by combat. A branch or contiguous group of
branches within a kingdom may petition for principality status
if the resulting entity would fulfill the requirements listed below.
----
a. Boundaries. Each branch must have established borders, enclosing a
single, contiguous area. At the Board's discretion, exceptions may be
made in the case of overseas areas dependent upon kingdoms or
principalities. Branch borders need not necessarily follow state lines
or similar political divisions, if other clearly definable lines are
available. In some cases, the "border" may be defined in terms of an
institution rather than a specific map reference. (See V.A.5.)
----

I don't see anything clearly, but I remember there being something
regarding splitting a group from itself not being allowed. This should
mean that a donut hole would be allowed, but not a stripe across the
middle.

Btw, the Principality of the Mists does not Donut hole. As well, it
*might* actually cut a section of Caid off if you don't consider the
overseas section.

Some maps of Caid can be found at:

http://www.west.sca.org/maps.html

I hope this all made sense.