ANST - P-word

Lori Campbell LCAMPBEL at ossm.edu
Mon Feb 16 18:15:04 PST 1998

> One reason I think the issue was so hotly debated.... the principalities
> were being dictated to the regions to the point of deciding what regions
> groups would be in without any of the members in put!

Exactly! The idea has got to come from within the groups themselves.
The whole issue has forever been killed because groups felt pressured
from areas outside their own.

I've seen it happen often enough in the North.  The trouble is,
as a region we were pretty much first to form our own identity -
which lends itself to the conclusion that we will be first to become
a Principality.   I think this speaks highly of what we have
accomplished already.   Whether or not the conclusion will
become fact... well, I guess the jury is still out (way out!) on
that one.  There are still lots of pros & cons that remain
undiscussed up here, but the issue isn't as "touchy" as it once was.

There seems to be a lot of talk about other regions wanting to
do something to solidify their own identities.  Here's a suggestion
- please take it for what it's worth...  The Northern Region's
"Tribute to Ansteorra" event went a long way towards helping us
establish our regional identity.  Maybe some of the other regions
would like to try something along the same lines.

Originally intended as a Kingdom fund-raiser, the event made over
$2000 profit the first year.   Although fund-raising is still the
goal, we now also focus on building camaraderie between groups
and people and showing the rest of the Kingdom the best we have
to offer.  Both of which have enhanced our Regional identity.

I'd like to add that, when Bs. Gitana came up with this idea
originally, it was planned as a "one time" deal.  (It sort-of took on
a life of its own - everyone had grand ideas for "next year" - and so
it continued).  The "one time" event is definitely the way to get
started.  Planning an event like this will definitely tell you how
well your groups can unite and work together.

If you think an event like this is a good idea, but don't have much
experience and need a good starting point, I know Gitana would be
happy to talk to you about her experiences.  Master Lucais has
also served as coordinating autocrat for this event and would
probably be happy to offer his views as well.  After five years of
trial and error, there are definitely a list of mistakes to avoid and
another list that helps an event like this run much more smoothly.

Just another rambling post to volunteer more information than
you really wanted to know... brought to you free of charge by the
Corporation for the Unification and Enrichment of Nordsteorra (a
not-for-profit and totally fictional group)....

- Kat