ANST - re: p-word: political considerations

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue Feb 17 16:16:33 PST 1998

Keith Hood said something that sounded like:
> 	I will address your points one at a time, but first I want to note you
> did not dispute the main point of my missive--that all the problems
> supposedly caused by this kingdom's size can be solved without splitting
> it into principalities.  Dividing the kingdom is not the only answer,
> and I have yet heard no good reason for not trying lesser cures first.

I will address some points, but as someone already pointed out splitting
groups up can be good for them. This is how Dallas/Fort Worth and
Houston have been going. The groups that split grow and encourage
growth.

> 	The fact that it may be difficult to do does not prove that it should
> not be done, and the fact remains that it would result in solving or at
> least relieving a lot of the problems currently being used as reasons
> for arguing in favor of principalities.

Actaully, it is not whether it is difficult or easy, it doesn't solve
the real problem, from my point of view. Having longer times on the
throne doesn't mean less events, but more for the Crown. The number of
groups and events per weekend will not change. There will still be need
for the Crown to be present regularly.

In addition, it doesn't solve the problem of us lowly people within the
Kingdom from seeing Royality. As well, it doesn't solve the problem of
us actually knowing the Royality that is present.

With Principalities, you have the advantage of the Royality being
"local" as well as multiple people being able to attend events where the
Crown should be present.

> 	It is a difficult job--this is a good reason for not making a change
> that would benefit the whole kingdom in many ways?

If it is truly a concern for them, they should not fight in Crown
Tourney in my opinion. They know the concequences if they win.

The benefit of Principalites does not alleviate the burden of the Crown,
except *maybe* shorter distances. They will still need (or at least
should) attend events every weekend. Princiaplities allow there the
Crown to be present in even more places at once.

> but the people from San
> Angelo who would like to go to the Stargate Yule revel still have to
> drive across the state.

And we will still continue to do so.

> If
> you have ideas on how to make the SCA more attractive to both existing
> and new personnel, you should bring them out instead of the principality
> argument.

You mean a smaller more cohesive unit isn't attractive?

> 	"Anyone who has ever had a job that involves supervising others knows
> good and well that a high personnel turnover rate is a guaranteed cause
> of expense, friction and ineffeciency.  It works that way in the
> military, at IBM, at McDonalds...anywhere you can think of.  Ease off
> the turnover rate of royalty, and a lot of the problems that drive the
> push toward principalities will solve themselves."

The turnover rate of the Royalty is not the problem that concerns me.
It's the turnover rate of such offices as the Kingdom Seneschal and
Chronicler because they do not wish to deal with the problems involved.
The people still enter Crown in order to win. It is coming to the point
that some offices have to look for people instead of having volunteers
to fill them.

Giving people a Principality will give them something to nurture and
help grow. Given them a Region will not encourage them since it is not
an official entity within the SCA.

This nurturing and growth will give the fighters a common banner to
fight under that joins them as one small well working unit. They will
still be Ansteorran, but work better as a unit.

It will give the Principality officers (instead of regional) something
to work for improving. Being only a paper pusher is not a fun job and
why some sit empty at times.

It will give those fighters who wish to be Royalty a better chance of
achieving this goal.

It will give the small people a chance of experiencing the cermony
involved with Royalty more often.

Etc.

Just a few thoughts.

In Service,