ANST - P-word words

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue Feb 17 20:13:50 PST 1998

> Wouldn't that more appropriately be "Zoghaven"?
notes Aquilanne, after several suggestions earlier.

(Lionshaven and such, that is.)

Realize that "haven" doesn't mean "place where we value,
cherish, and protect" in period.  It means "harbour".
Not in the sense of "harbouring fugitives", but
"place near the sea with docks and boats and HELLO Sailor!
and for GOD'S sake don't get downwind in August".

Stargate might be profitably renamed a "haven".  Sorry,
but I don't see Bryn Gwlad or Bjornsborg being plausible
"haven"s, as two examples ... and a harbour seems a little
limited in size for a principality, much less a kingdom (Monaco
being the only counter-example I can think of).

Daniel "a nice illustration of how modern and modern fantasy
naming notions often don't work, actually" de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work account.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us ... is wrong tool.  Never use this.