ANST - You know what's coming

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Wed Feb 18 07:41:13 PST 1998

Keith Hood said something that sounded like:
> First, I'll admit that I've seen enough comments to convince me that a
> 2-year tenure is not a valid solution.  But I still contest some other
> things.  (If it's so horrible, why do so many people want it?)

They want the title? They want the prestige? They want the power? They
have big egos? Doesn't matter.

Sitting out a 2-year reign of the Crown would be untolerable during a
bad reign. As well, as others pointed out, it may lead to even worse
"rhino-hiding" in order to win at all costs.

> Yes, there is an official provision for the regular redistribution of
> executive power--every four years, not every six months.

This is why our officers, the people truly doing the work, are appointed
for 2 years. The people who sit up there and look pretty (okay, maybe a
little more than that) are every 6 months.

> Awful nice of the Tories to offer to count the Whigs' votes...

If we can't trust a Peer of the Society to do this honestly, than we
have bigger problems than the beauracracy.

> Smaller groups are not inherently healthier.

And large groups that are flailing typically split the power up in order
to focus on what is important for the individuals within subgroups.

> current members' convincing people that SCA membership is worth having,

SCA membership is not a criteria within this Kingdom. You can play with
the SCA and what not without being a member of the Corporation.

> If the principalities are part of Ansteorra, then they have not split
> from the parent group, and if they have not then where are the alleged
> growth opportunies?

Growth in population and coherency, not in land.

> If it were not possiblee, the
> SCA itself could not exist--at what officially defined level of American
> society or government do we fit?

The SCA, Inc., which is a multi-national corporation, is not defined by
American society or government.

The Society, which is the game we play in, is defined outside of
everything else. We make our own structure. This structure includes the
entities of Kingdom, Principality, Barony/Province, Shire, Canton, etc.
Regions were created due to the amount of beauracracy that was involved
with running a Kingdom with the current land and population size.

Yes, our groups may divide again later, just as our Baronies spawn
Cantons or Shires that grow into Baronies themself. I see this as good
growth.

Ciao,