ANST - P-word

Dennis Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 18 13:39:22 PST 1998

Salut, Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Tomonaga says:
>To Gunthar (sorry, I don't know your SCA title):

It's Sir Gunthar, but I can understand your not knowing that--he doesn't
include his title in his signature.

My primary purpose in answering this missive, however, is that I wanted to
address a matter ancilliary to Tomonaga's point.

>Today, after the debate has gone on for a while
>and more and more arguments are brought out and examined in public, we
>have begun to see more postings from people who may not hard core "keep
>the kingdom" supporters, but at least they are not dyed in the wool
>principality supporters.  That says something, don't you think?

I have a problem with Tomonaga's opposition of "keep-the-kingdom
supporters" and "dyed-in-the-wool principality supporters.  This
hypothetical opposition presumes that folks who support principalities are
somehow anti-Ansteorra, as though we were trying to weaken or diminish our
fair kingdom deliberately.

I, for one, favor principalities because they're a source of greater
enjoyment, because they help alleviate some of the burden of the Crown, and
because they create new opportunities for strengthening the regions.  I *do
not* currently support any effort to diminish or damage Ansteorra.  Nor
have I heard anyone say, "Let's make some principalities so we can divide
Ansteorra into smaller kingdoms."  As the examples of Cynagua and the Mists
demonstrate, a successful principality need not be a precursor to
secession.

Now, perhaps I've misread someone's intent.  Do any of the folks posting on
the pro side of the principality discussion actually favor seceding from
Ansteorra?  If so, Tomonaga and his ilk should post their arguments
directly to them.  If  not, I would submit that this argument is a straw
man and should be ignored.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace

Dennis G. Grace