ANST - The chronicle chronicles

Scott Powers spowers at telepath.com
Wed Feb 18 13:16:07 PST 1998

>I disagree.  It can be made to happen that way in the real world.  Sounds
>like an education problem to me.  Perhaps you or your lady could teach or
>arrange a class on scheduling for potential event stewards.  This problem
>can be largely (no, probably not completely) resolved with proper planning.
>
>Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace

My lady has many training classes planned, including one this weekend.
Every (or almost every) Kingdom Chronicler has taught classes addressing
this and a host of other issues.  I taught a few myself when I was Kingdom
Chronicler.  The deadline is published prominently in every issue of the
Black Star.  We even charge fees for being late!  I don't know how we could
do any more than that to encourage people to get them in on time.  I
certainly would like to see all the submissions in on time.  I am not happy
that so many are late.  But that's the way it is.

So, no.  I don't think it is an education problem.  I think the problem is
that we have very many unpaid volunteers doing the best they can with
limited resources and time.  That will be unaffected by becoming a
principality.

But we are getting off the subject.  Back to the topic:

While there are an endless number of people willing to participate in
activites, there are only so many people in Ansteorra who are willing to do
the grunt work that has to be done; like autocrating, working gate, toilet
patrol, mopping up the feast hall, working the offices, etc.  And by adding
another layer of work, you stretch those people just a little farther.
While becoming a principality could be fun, it is also more work.  And the
question is, do you have the people to do that real work?  The excitement
of having a new principality probably means you would have no trouble
lining up a slate of people the first go-around, maybe the second.  After
that, who knows?

Don't get me wrong.  I could not care less if you want to become a
principality or not.  If that's what you want, go for it.  But before you
take that giant step, you and everyone else need to look at this with wide
open eyes.  There has been so much Rah-Rah-Lets-Have-Fun talk on this
subject, and so little What's-It-Gonna-Cost talk that I felt it important
to remind everyone that its going to cost *something*, whether or not it is
you personally who has to pay it.  Someone has to do the work for everyone
else to have the fun.  I just can't imagine that it serves anyone's purpose
to discuss part of the issue while ignoring the rest.

And before you get offended, I am not implying that you are not one of the
workers.  I suspect that you personally have worked very hard over the
years, and will continue to do so.  And I am sure that you know as well as
I do that if more work is generated, it will be up to the same small group
of people to do the work.  There will be no influx of new workers if you go
to principality status.

Rumil