ANST - Name variation (Was P-word)

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu Feb 19 20:21:02 PST 1998

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Bill Sholar <BillS at aurora-gas.com>
wrote:
> I'm curious. Have you changed the way you call yourself in
> speech?

Nope.  All I know is "Bardsley's earliest example [in
French] is <de Linccolne> 1273".  I guess that the second
"l" would just get pronounced a bit more.

> And if you had things to do over, would you register the
> (new) written form or the spoken form?
>
> Giraut d'Avinho / Giraudus de Avinione / Gerard, that guy from Avignon
> or simply, Bill

The SCA College of Arms is pretty flexible on that -- or,
put another way, they don't have a fixed model of what sort
of name they register.  They've done pure documentary forms
("N. dictu N.").  They've done vernacular forms.  They've
done standard modern spellings.  For some names (Rhiannon,
Ceridwen, Bronw[ey]n, Briana come to mind), they've
registered names that (so far as we know) no pre-modern
human ever used!

I'd probably go with the attested Latin, written form, just
for being a clerk.  For you, whatever floats your boat.

Dammit Delinquent
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work address.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.