ANST - Rapier at Gulf

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Tue Feb 24 02:12:14 PST 1998

[Here is a repost of an item sent to RapierNet detailing some of the
"unofficial" rapier activities at Gulf. For the official ones, see
the Gulf War web site. -- Dore]

Unto the Fencers and Gallant Gentles of the Known World does Don
Giovanni di Fiamma send Greetings!

As I have written before, the Thorny Ivy tavern will open for pleasant
company and good rapier play Thursday afternoon, March 12th, at Gulf
Wars, by gracious permission of the autocrats.

This tavern will be a place where adherents of the Rapier Arte can
come to try their skills, and meet other gentleborn folk.  There will
be a 2 1/2 day "gentles' wager" tourney as the centerpiece of the
activities therein; for a tourney fee of $3.00, gentles will receive
20 'scudi' with which, from Thursday to Saturday evening, they may
wager on the course of any and all fencing they might pursue.  Gentles
are encouraged to give odds, if a student fences a Don, for
example.... on Saturday evening, after Great Court, we will host an
auction of fencing-related items, at which ONLY 'scudi' will be
accepted.  Hoard your scudi, hazard your scudi... whatever is your
pleasure, as long as you enjoy your fencing and fellowship at my
tavern.

The Tavern will not explicitly be an "Enchanted Ground" venue, but I
encourage all our visitors to attempt portraying their personas in the
most gracious, gallant manner.  Though it be a tavern, I ask my
guests' indulgence that they do not drink alcohol if they propose to
take fights on any given visit.  Refreshments will be as brought by my
guests, at any given time.

We currently also will be the venue host for tourneys sponsored by the
Silver Dagger, and by Master Malcolm The Scot.

Classes in the arte of fence will be offered throughout the course of
the Inn's being open.  I have the honor of teaching Blow Calling;
Baron Aelfred of Chester, and Mistress Irene von Schmetterling, have
also offered to teach classes.  ANY gentle interested in teaching at
this Tavern is encouraged to contact me at their soonest convenience,
PLEASE.

ANY gentle may visit us at the tavern, enjoy the fellowship, take
classes... the tourney fee is NOT required for participation in any
event save for the ongoing Wager Tourney.

We look to see you at Gulf Wars, at the Thorny Ivy!

I remain,
your Innkeeper,
Don Giovanni di Fiamma
blackwilliam at mail.geocities.com