ANST - Re: BG - courtesy / crown, etc.-long

Burke McCrory bmccrory at oktax.state.ok.us
Mon Feb 2 16:12:10 PST 1998

At 05:53 AM 2/2/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Nan Bradford-Reid wrote:
>>
>> Something Sir Conor pointed out while we were discussing this at home (he
>> might have posted it himself, sorry if this is redundant) is that the
>> Knights are *not* protecting the thrones, they are protecting the CROWN
>> (and, as such, the knight *should not* have had the Crown slung over his
>> arm...then or at any other time.)
>>
>> Catherine
>
>I assume what you mean by CROWN is the actual metal coronet. Most of
>our Royality are a bit big to sling over an arm. :-)

I think that the point here is that during that time after the Sovereign
has stepped down and the new Sovereign has yet to claim his/her throne the
Kingdom is without a Crown.  The Chivalry standing there in front of the
thrones is symbolic of the pledge that the Chivalry have to guard and
protect the realm.  When there is no Crown it falls to the Chivalry who are
in fealty to the crown (kingdom) to preform our duties.  While today the
chances of a invasion or coup are pretty remote, in the middle ages they
were real concerns.

In Service to the Dream

Sir Burke Kyriell MacDonald
Baron of Wiesenfeuer