ANST - help with motto

clward at mmm.com clward at mmm.com
Wed Feb 4 14:36:42 PST 1998

Sir Alexis LaBouche asked:
>I would appreciate any help could get with translating the motto
>'Ensuring Justice' into latin.  Thanks in advance.

I'm not finding a Latin translation for "ensuring" -- not that there isn't one,
just that my Latin dictionary lacks one.  Instead, I used a similar term.

asseverero, asseverare (1st conj. verb) "assert strongly, vouch for, affirm,
insist upon"
asseverum (acc. gerund of asseverare)

justitia, justitiae (1st decl. noun) "justice, fairness"

Thus my suggested motto would be:

Asseverum justiciam, "Insisting on Justice"

(Alexis, if you have access to a large, unabridged Latin dictionary and can
find a term for "ensure" send it to me and I'll try again.  Note that after you
find the word in the "English to Latin" section you *always* have to go to the
"Latin to English" and double-check the word.  Nuance comes into play here
strongly!!)

::GUNNORA::

Writing from work.  All replies to gunnora at bga.com

cc: Stefan le Rous for his Florilegium files