ANST - [off topic] kessel run

Patrick St. Jean psj at cgmlarson.com
Thu Feb 5 12:41:13 PST 1998

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Joel Schumacher wrote:
> > > [not parsec - that's a measure of distance, Hans Solo]
>
> When asked whether his ship (coincidentally named the "Millenium" Falcon)
> was fast, Han Solo replied something like "she made the Kessel run in 12
> parsecs, is that fast enough for you?" Being that:
>     velocity = distance / time
> Saying it did the Kessel run (a distance) in 12 parsecs, parsecs must
> be a unit of time.  To say parsecs is a distance would be like somebody
> asking is your car fast?  "Well, it made a trip from Dallas to Houston
> in 240 miles - That fast enough for you?"

Off topic, I know, but I'm going to nit...

In one of the books, they explain that the Kessel run is a test to see the
volume of space (what a parsec is, it's a cubic light-year) a smuggler
needs to rendesvous with a bunch of other ships (heading in all different
directions) to drop off smuggled goods.  A fast ship would do it in less
volume of space...

Ack!
  Pat