ANST - Better Bannering

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Fri Feb 6 06:50:05 PST 1998

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace said:
> Stefan asks:
>
> >I think more banners would be neat! But I too, was wondering about losing
> >a fighter.
> >
> >Can you put a butt-spike on a banner pole?
>
> Yep.  Better still, make the banner pole a 9' fibreglass spear.  I've done
> this.  It works, but not on bridges or castles (the enemy will grab your
> banner and swipe your spear).

But the earlier message talked of the banner bearer being surrounded
by other men for protection. The idea of the butt-spike, half in
jest, was to give a weapon for that last valient effort before being
overrun. The banner should be large, making it's use on a spear,
at least for normal use, unwieldy.

Also having the banner on the
spear might make it too much of a temptation to use the spear as
an offensive weapon rather than it's main purpose, as a rallying
banner. You can't see the banner if it keeps bobbing up and down
because it is being used as a spear.

Stefan li Rous