ANST - Interesting site...

Bill Osterheim Polydore at worldnet.att.net
Fri Feb 6 14:36:27 PST 1998

Alan Boertjens wrote:

> Scott Powers wrote:

snip*
> > there are some things we could improve.  Nevertheless,  they made some
> > good points.  I particularly liked the "worst-looking SCA fighter
> > ever."  I about hurt myself laughing at that one.
> >
> > Rumil
>
> I looked over this site as well.
>
> As for deciding on whether to be offended or burst out laughing, I
> think it would be proper to do both.  Much of what is said on the
> site is VERY accurate (they've done their research) :-)
>
> Quite a bit of what they mention comes down to differing levels
> of "authenticity" in the re-enactment methods of the various groups.
> I have mixed feelings when it comes to "authenticity nazis".

big snip*

> My bucket-worth-of-pennies worth of comments:
> - People who play SCA for the politics should go back and learn how to
>   play with books/clay/wood/metal/cloth/leather instead!
> - Hold fewer 'theme events' and more actual workshops!
> - NO dry event sites!
> - NO glow-light devices anywhere on site! (except in the privies)
> - NO parking vehicles next to pavilions for the duration of an event!
>   (Yes, I mentioned these last two earlier in this message, but I
>    thought they were so important, that they needed saying twice)
>
> There!  I'm done now...probably in more ways than one! :-)
>
> ~Ld.Johan Bjornsson
I like the vast majority of your comments and suggestions. I have only
been around for a couple of years and work for a living (ei. My time to
make everything authenticly is limitied.), and that would not be very
authentic anyway; people did a lot of trading. Neither am I wealthy, so
my equiptment could certainly use some improvement. ;)  I am working on
it, however, and have never run into one of these famous (or infamous?)
authenticity creatures; they must be somewhat rare. Perhaps they just
stay away from the gang I hang out with? They can be a scary bunch!
(grin!)

I have a suggestion, however, for those tho consider the SCA to NOT be
a reinactment group. I think they are right! We are, rather, a group of
reinactors! That is, I consider a reinactment group to be a group
that reinacts A something, such as a certain battle, war, city of an
exact date; any one something. The SCA is made of individuals each
pretty much reinacting their own thing. ei, a group of reinactors.

Yours in service,

		Polydore Pike