ANST - Q? - War Tabards

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Fri Feb 6 20:06:06 PST 1998

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, j'lynn yeates <jyeates at bga.com> wrote:
> instead of the tabard idea, why not *wide* war-armbands
> (perhaps and/or helmet bands ????)  ... designed large
> enough that the black star is clearly visible ... suitable
> to mark friend/foe.
>
> such a solution would satisfy both of the philosophical
> camps - the "personal/house/group livery" segment (which i
> would support) and the kingdom "grande army" segment
> (which, as has been brought up as rather OP ...).

I'd reply to "Why not?" with "Because I currently have no
period evidence of it".  It would not satisfy me, for one --
simply shuffling the inauthenticity to some other part of
the body doesn't seem satisfying.  I'd also favour tape
marking to go too, for the same reason, and more research on
how period armies dealt with the problem.

Then again, I'm a non-combatant, so maybe my opinion should
carry less weight (as if it carries much weight now).

Daniel "and then there's the Far Side solution: Shirts and
Skins" de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work address.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.