ANST - Better Bannering

Bill Sholar BillS at aurora-gas.com
Mon Feb 9 16:07:34 PST 1998

I'm not a fighter (yet anyway) but I've picked up from past discussions
that there is a relatively new rule requiring that marshals' staffs be
made of rattan. The theory is that in an accident, a wooden staff might
break, leaving jagged and possibly dangerous ends, whereas rattan would
pulp. Following that line of reasoning, when Tomonaga says:
> In a fall, it would be far more likely that the
> pole would break than the people.

Larkin replies:
> And that would be a reason for not using it.
> Remember that even marshaling staffs must
> now be of rattan.

So to Tomonaga's second question:
> I'm not sure--are you saying that if a man falls
> and brings down the banner he's carrying, it's
> safer for the people around him to get hit with
> sword-grade material than a light breakaway item?

The official answer is apparently yes, that a blunt sword-grade impact
is safer that a potential puncture from the light breakaway item.

Lacking first hand experience with any of this, I should add that I
don't personally defend either position, but am merely passing on what I
recall.

--Giraut