ANST - Interesting site... and poignant, too

Sam & Debbie Milligan miligan at anet-dfw.com
Mon Feb 9 21:36:09 PST 1998

When I first got interested in the SCA several years ago (after having a
life-long fascination with the Middle Ages), the friends who got me
started explained that while we strive for authenticity where possbile
and appropriate, the Modern Middle Ages are a recreation of the Middle
Ages "as they should have been", ie, without the dirt, squalor, disease,
poverty, social injustice, etcetra ad nuaseum, while allowing unobtrusive
 modern conveniences to be used.

As for authenticity, how much authenticity do we wish to strive for?
Serfs?  (They would be useful, I admit, but still...)  The Black Death?
Religious intolerance?  I am not, have never been, and will never be a
member of the Authenticity Police, but I freely admit that I enjoy seeing
acurate representations of the wide range of times and cultures that we
have adopted and made our own.  I also enjoy the research and
experimentation that goes into attempting to do it myself.  My enjoyment
has never been diminished by seeing newcomers not yet "authentically"
garbed, or even by glaring modernisms in the midst of an otherwise period
setting.  I feel we are striving for an atmosphere that displays the best
of our recreations that at the same time does not become exclusive of or
intimidating for those just learning what it is they want to do in the
Society.

Let's remember that SCA stands for Society for CREATIVE Anachronism. It
covers over a thousand years of history and a multiplicity of cultures.
We don't have to worry about making anyone but ourselves happy.  If the
Routiers' hobby leaves them with so much free time that they have to
waste it worrying about what WE do, maybe they should consider expanding
their own re-creation.

(This started out as my two pence worth, and somehow increased to at
least half a crown.)

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain
of House Mac an Ghabahnn
--
'When I make a word do a lot of work like that,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'I
always pay it extra.'