ANST - animals

Mitman, Rikki Rikki.Mitman at COMPAQ.com
Thu Feb 12 10:31:50 PST 1998

Catherine said:

>Concerning the banning of animals at some events, it has been my
>experience that the reason pets are banned at some events is usually
>because of the lack of consideration of the owner.  There has been many
>a time that I have had to run off someone's wayward dog from rooting
>around in my gargage or urinating in my campground.   At our baronial
>event last october (Bjornsborg) the stench of feces and unwashed dog
>from a merchant's animals was almost unbearable ALL weekend long.  The
>"crowning glory", it were, was having to dodge feces in the main traffic
>area into our BFT on Sunday morning.
>
>[snip]

Teleri adds:

Unfortunately, there are always people who will be inconsiderate in some
fashion, whether by refusing to move their cars, being loud at 3 a.m. or
failing to take responsibility for their animals. In these and other
instances, we all too often grumble to one another when we should take
issue with the offenders. If they never hear about it, they'll keep
doing it.

At times I have had the nerve to speak up, at times I have not. Another
option is to ask the event steward or local baron to speak to the
inconsiderate party. We make a point of being tolerant of many
differences in the SCA, and that is a good thing. However, perhaps there
are times we should be less tolerant.

Hope this is coherent -- I'm just blurting thoughts here and must run to
a meeting.

T.