ANST - Fealty

Rollie W. Reid carcassonnais at geocities.com
Thu Feb 12 14:58:33 PST 1998

To add to what Lyonel said,

I have seen period oaths of fealty, from the 14th and 15th Century
that were so specific, that they specified that the vassal would
fight beside his Lord in tournament and in war, and how many horses
the Lord would provide to the vassal for each of these endeavors.

Also, in the SCA we seen oaths of fealty sworn to the Crown, and
oaths of fealty sworn by students (squires, apprentices and proteges)
to Peers (Knights, Laurels, and Pelicans).  In period, every noble,
whether Duke, Count, Baron would have had Knights swearing fealty to
him.  In fact many Knights would have had other Knights in fealty.
 This is another way in which we have altered the medieval model.

Conor

lucetis sicut luminaria in mundo