ANST - animals

mirrim at texas.net mirrim at texas.net
Fri Feb 13 05:17:46 PST 1998

 Britta the Red wrote:
> Owner courtesy seems to remain the number one problem in animal
> control at events. Here's what I've read just today:
> 1. unleashed animals running about, in trash and food of other
> campers. 2. poop. 3. barking.
> Let me add another problem.
> 4. unsocialized animals.
(snip)

I agree these are all problems, but an equal problem is people who do
not respect animals' space.   Remember to always ask permission of
the owner before you approach an animal closely.  I have had people I
didn't know tell children it was alright to pet my dog, because they
had seen another child petting the dog the day before.

My dog Keir is a Canine Good Citizen.  It is a test sponsored by the
AKC which any dog and owner can take, it is not restricted to
pedigreed dogs.  You must prove your dog is sociable, has manners,
will follow basic commands like sit and down, will be calm around
other dogs, and will not go crazy and bark or howl when you leave it
tied.  The test is free.  I think this would be a good standard for
dogs if you aren't sure if you want them at your event.

That takes care of the dog's behavior:  I am also willing to teach a
Dog Safety class for children and parents at any event Keir and I are
at.  We have done this in the past and many kids still remember what
they learned.  It helps everybody.

Mirrim and Keir (the big Keeshond)
Dark Horde Moritu
Barony of Bryn Gwlad