ANST - What Does Pledging Allegiance Or Giving Oath Mean?

Burke McCrory burkemc at ionet.net
Fri Feb 13 18:03:38 PST 1998

At 11:59 PM 2/11/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Greeting From Alina:
>
>What exactly does pledging allegiance or giving oath mean? What does it mean
>when a knight/laurel/pelican pledge their allegiance or oath to our kingdom
>sovereign? What do they actually give to their majesty? What does their
>majesty give in return? I see it all the time in courts, but don't understand
>the point and/or purpose of it. Next, same question but different twist.

>Are kingdom officer expected to give the same to their majesty, their
allegiance
>or oath? Is the same expected from local officers to give their majesty
and to
>their local BB (baron and baroness)?

No, Kingdom officers give an oath of service not an oath of fealty.

This whole topic was decided many years ago by the BOD. their decision is
that an officer gives an oath of service to the Kingdom and the Crown.
That oath is to do their best at the job that they have been given and to
follow the rules of the Society.  Knights ( and some other peers if they
choose) give oaths of fealty to the Crown, not the individual wearing the
Crown.  This does not preclude people form giving personal oaths of fealty
to people, it just means that the required oath of fealty is to the Crown
not to the person.  You would have to ask each individual what their
personal view of their fealty means to them, it varys from person to
person.  To me, I gave my oath to the Crown of Ansteorra on the field at
the Outlands war, when I was Knighted.  Each time that I go before the
Crown, I reaffirm the oath that still exists between me and the Crown.
That oath is not something that expires at the end of each reign.  Recently
I was made Baron of Wiesenfeuer,  at that time I took and oath of fealty to
the Crown for the lands they were placing under my responsibility.  This
oath is an expansion of my previous oath as a Knight.  It will last as long
as I an Baron.  Going before the Crown at Coronation and retaking this oath
is a reaffirmation that the Crown wishes me to continue my duties as Baron.

>It's been a sticky question I have been trying to figure out.
>
>Questions and not sure of the answers,
>Alina (Mitchell)
>lg_photo at texas.net

In Service to the Dream