ANST - Best Persona playing at events..

Talen von Marienburg talen at microtutors.com
Sat Feb 14 13:06:41 PST 1998

Actually, the Shire of Mooneschadowe is preparing for our annual Fundraiser
at this very moment, and the central part is that each table of modern
couples is hosted by a medieval couple - staying in persona the entire
evening.  The rest of the cast is servers, cooks & entertainers.

It's our "St. Valentine's Feast", where the local community gets to see the
SCA at its finest.  Courtly clothing, dancing and a Pas d'Armes, amongst
other items.  Food fit for a King (we know, we've done this for our own
<BG>).  Service to make any noble envious.  And lots of help from our
brothers and sisters from other SCA groups, such as Northkeep, Wiesenfeuer
and Namron.

I think that persona play has been de-emphasized by a modern approach to the
middle ages.  Mooneschadowe has invited several guests to instruct us in
better persona play, including a few Lions (Orm & Megan).  I would like to
see more of this.  I would also like to see more medieval and less modern
conversations at events - I know I'm one of the guilty ones!  Gotta start
somewhere, and I think that somewhere is in a combination of research and
SCA Anthropology.

Research helps broaden your conversation base.  Kind of like when you first
learn a foreign language, you can't really communicate well until you learn
enough vocabulary.  So it is with the SCA.  If all you know about is dogs,
for example, then all you can talk about is dogs.  Broaden your horizons and
broaden your "vocabulary".

SCA Anthropology is going back to see how the "masters" did it (or do it).
Visit with those who's wealth of knowledge was earned by experience.  Talk
to those who were known for their persona's depth.  Don't know who they are?
Listen to the bards!  Their names are legend!

Well, gotta prepare for the Pas d'Armes.  Rehearsal's at 4:30!

Talen
---------
Herr Talen von Marienburg
Grand Marshal of the Company of the Sun