ANST - animals

nolen dale fairborn at swbell.net
Sun Feb 15 19:30:30 PST 1998

I have seen alot of comments about socializing animals and the problems
of taking these animals to events.
 The first comment about socializing animals. If you want to take your
animal or animals to an event, please take them to at least four or
five  populated fighter pratices. This will help the animal get use to
people, crowds and some of the noises. It will also give people a chance
to recognize your animal and see how it acts. Socializing your animal
can be alot of fun, educational to those around you, and make you very
proud when you leave the fighter pratice and people want to take your
animal home. When you take your animal make sure they are always on
aleash or teather of some sort and a muzzle if necessary (your call).
I took my horse(half great pyrennes nad half anatolian sheperd) to the
regional war pratice at elfsea today. Murphy is 7 months old and about
80 pounds. This was his second sca function. everybody loved him and
asked questions. I even had one or two people ask about dog barding for
him. I was a proud daddy today. AS murphy got used to the poepleand the
people to him a bond of trust was formed. It was this trust thatt
aloowed me to let other people hold murphy's leash while I did other
stuff. I am not saying this should be done with all animals, but those
animals that obey and are good natured can alomst watch themsleves.
Again murphy was always on a leash and never really out of eye sight.
socializing your animal can help your animal and yourself when it somes
to going to events. I firmly believe if he goes to an event (especially
if it is cold) I will have to literally fight people people from taking
murphy for a walk or used as a large protable muff.
anyway thought I would jusr give a suggestion on how to start
socializing your animal. OH yeah the kids loved him and it also can them
something to do.
Richard Fairbourne
central region
animals are an important part of our lives then and now