ANST - animals

Chris Harper bice at flash.net
Sun Feb 15 21:13:36 PST 1998

Richard Fairbourne wrote:

At 09:30 PM 2/15/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I have seen alot of comments about socializing animals and the problems
>of taking these animals to events.
> The first comment about socializing animals. If you want to take your
>animal or animals to an event, please take them to at least four or
>five  populated fighter pratices. This will help the animal get use to
>people, crowds and some of the noises. It will also give people a chance
>to recognize your animal and see how it acts. Socializing your animal
>can be alot of fun, educational to those around you, and make you very
>proud when you leave the fighter pratice and people want to take your
>animal home. When you take your animal make sure they are always on
>aleash or teather of some sort and a muzzle if necessary (your call).
>I took my horse(half great pyrennes nad half anatolian sheperd) to the
>regional war pratice at elfsea today. Murphy is 7 months old and about
>80 pounds. This was his second sca function. everybody loved him and
>asked questions. I even had one or two people ask about dog barding for
>him. I was a proud daddy today. AS murphy got used to the poepleand the
>people to him a bond of trust was formed. It was this trust thatt
>aloowed me to let other people hold murphy's leash while I did other
>stuff. I am not saying this should be done with all animals, but those
>animals that obey and are good natured can alomst watch themsleves.
>Again murphy was always on a leash and never really out of eye sight.
>socializing your animal can help your animal and yourself when it somes
>to going to events. I firmly believe if he goes to an event (especially
>if it is cold) I will have to literally fight people people from taking
>murphy for a walk or used as a large protable muff.
>anyway thought I would jusr give a suggestion on how to start
>socializing your animal. OH yeah the kids loved him and it also can them
>something to do.
>Richard Fairbourne
>central region
>animals are an important part of our lives then and now

Just a note of thanks for bringing Murphy out today.  It was a pleasure to
be around him( and be one of the ones holding the leash most of the time)
and to watch his calm and interest in everything.  Even though he was very
interested in meeting all the people, he did not pull or lunge on the leash
at all.  And as you said he was a real foot warmer as well as pretty to look
at.  I hope to see him quite often and can't wait to see you in the saddle
next year. (G)

-Bice