ANST - Chainmail Trousers???

Scot Eddy seddy at vvm.com
Tue Feb 17 04:11:21 PST 1998

Lord Alistair,

The Men-at-arms series has 2 books on the Normans and they have some
drawings of theoretical mail chauces and suspension system.

Since the hauberk covers the upper leg and knees I believe that a
padded cloth knee pad (made from mattress pad or moving pad) with a
knee cop and the mail sewn to the lower edge makes the best solution.

I've seen both lacing up the back of the leg and one solid "tube" of
mail for the lower leg. Since we don't generally rivet our mail
(awesome job if you did) the "tube" idea sounds the best. Wear a belt
under your fighting tunic and use 3 straps to hang the chauces. Tie it
to the belt and down to the tops of the padded knee pad.

Hope this helps!

Grace and Peace,

Jovian