ANST - P-word

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue Feb 17 20:38:32 PST 1998

> In the dozens of postings that have flown across the net on this subject
> today, no one has yet tried to refute this point.
> high personnel turnover rate is a guaranteed cause of expense

Sorry that  I didn't get to it until now.

Sometimes it's necessary to pull people out.  Your example
of "the military" is a good one: US Army studies have found
that most of us can only take so much time in combat
situations, or we get combat fatigue (a kind of nervous
breakdown).

For that matter, the military's "up or out" policy causes a
lot of turnover.  Part is a political problem -- too many
people going into the academies -- but part is the thought
that having a large reserve corps of officers is a Good
Thing should we need to suddenly grow the Army someday, as
is the US's wont to do.

In the SCA's case, burnout is often a strong spur to
replacement.

Daniel de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work account.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us ... is wrong tool.  Never use this.