ANST - P-word

Galen W. Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 17 21:55:37 PST 1998

Keith Hood wrote:

>         "Anyone who has ever had a job that involves supervising others knows
> good and well that a high personnel turnover rate is a guaranteed cause
> of expense, friction and ineffeciency.  It works that way in the
> military, at IBM, at McDonalds...anywhere you can think of.  Ease off
> the turnover rate of royalty, and a lot of the problems that drive the
> push toward principalities will solve themselves."
>
> In the dozens of postings that have flown across the net on this subject
> today, no one has yet tried to refute this point.

Well, since the time you posted this, I have done so in another
message.  Here let me address your primary point.  In those businesses,
where people make their livlihood, just how do MacDonalds, IBM, and the
Military reduce their turnover rates?  They are employing people of free
will and cannot simply say that "the job is two years, thats what you
signed up for, thats what you have to do".  (OK, maybe the military can,
but they are a special case *g*).  They do it by making the job more
attractive, less stressful etc.  That is a large part of _why_ reducing
turnover increases efficiency. A lot of the friction and low efficiency
you mention is often directly or indirectly responsible for the high
turnover rate you also mention, not just vice versa.

If the job is high stress, high demand, and low reward...the turnover
rate will be high.  The only way to change that is to increase the
reward, and/or lower the stress and demand.  That is exactly what people
are trying to do with the Principality idea.  The rewards are
increased....more royalty to visit more groups, to give more awards and
provide for more of the ceremony that many people like.  The stress is
reduced...less worry about when will be the next time you can get
Royalty to your group to reward your hard workers and great artist,
etc., and less stress on said Royalty because their are more of them to
visit the same number of groups, as stated before.

Graf Galen K.