ANST - You know what's coming

Scott Powers spowers at telepath.com
Wed Feb 18 08:43:51 PST 1998

I just thought of another problem with the Principality issue.  I don't
know the answer to this.  But maybe someone who has moved here from a
principality could answer it for us.

If you formed a principality, what newsletter would you subscribe to?  I am
quite sure a principality produces its own newsletter, so that would be
your default newsletter.  But would you also get the Black Star?  If so,
who would pay for it.  If you don't get the Black Star, would your
principality feel increasingly alienated from the rest of Ansteorra?  Would
you go to events in other regions if you did not get the Black Star (which
advertised those events)?

I am guessing that you would not get the Black Star unless you paid extra
for it with your annual SCA membership.  Some people would do that.  Many
would not.  What would be the effect of that?  Probably less participation
outside your principality; smaller events, fewer fighters at tourneys,
fewer arts and sciences displayed, smaller gate incomes with more events
that lose money; yada yada yada.  Maybe the same thing in reverse.  People
outside your Principality might not come to your events if they are not
advertised in the Black Star.  Is that what you want?

Or maybe the autocrats would like to send their event announcements to both
Kingdom and Principality newsletters.  And when they get it done the
evening of the 2nd or 3rd of the month (of course, that never happens
around here, does it?  :-} ), they can pay TWO overnight express bills, and
TWO late fees.  Unless of course you end up with two principalities, then
make it three of everything.  Yup, this is going to make it easier on
everyone.

Rumil