ANST - P-word lead-in (lionhawk)

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Feb 18 17:07:34 PST 1998

>> Lionhawk??
>> Alastair
> Why not????
> Damaris of Greenhill

Because it looks implausible as a place-name?  I *suppose*
there could be such names out there -- I'm hardly an expert,
or even a novice! -- but a priori I'd bet against it.

Besides, the period term for "lion + hawk" -- well, "lion +
eagle" -- is "griffin".  I hasten to add that I have no idea
whether "griffin" was ever used in place-names or no, but I
dimly recall "Drake" derived from "dragon".

Some geographic name patterns that I think work in most
languages?  <Simple adjective> + <topographic feature>, or
<first name> + <topographic>.  "Greenhill" is lovely.  "Red
River".  "Ragnar's farm".  (<=== HINT to Southerners.  In
period, it was usually for an owner of a farm or village,
though.)

Unfortunately for the SCA, a lot of kingdoms' names
translated as "land of the X people".  Angle-land.
Scot-land.  France, the land of the Franks.  Deutchland.

The clearest counter-example I can think of is Austria,
which means "East Kingdom".  (!)  You may think "South
Kingdom" is dull.  Considering the number of impossible SCA
names out there, I'd like to see dull and common names.
*My* Dream is of the "wow!  it's like I'm really there!"
variety, rather than the "wow! this is just like Mercedes
Lackey's latest novel!" sort.

Daniel de Lincolia, jaded by all the 'Branwyn ferch Cerydwyn
of the Mystyc Unicorne Sea' names, and praying for more
simple 'Lionardo Acquistapace's, 'Maridonna Benvenuti's,
'Polydore Pike's, or maybe even (dare I wish?) 'Richard fitz
William'
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work account.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us ... is wrong tool.  Never use this.