ANST - Principality petitions/seccession war

Casey&Coni cjw at vvm.com
Thu Feb 19 09:15:51 PST 1998

Keith Hood wrote:

>Corpora requires that there be a concensus before a principality can be
>made.  But what keeps happening is someone comes up and says "A bunch of
>us have been talking about this for a long time and we know we've got a
>lot of support, so let's go ahead and do it."  Principality supporters
>always seem to want to jump straight to the petition-the-BoD stage
>without even setting the type for ballots, much less waiting for the ink
>to dry.

In this instance, for once, you have it a bit amiss.  That's why Im
conducting a straw poll here *before* I go through the effort of spending
time and cash on ballot sheets.  Gotta see if folks are genuinely interested
first.  Nobody in our current case wants to "jump straight to the
petition-theBoD stage"... unless you are somehow better informed than I am,
that is.

By the bye, I will continue to accept peoples yea and nay's in the straw
poll for the groups around the southern corridor through the end of next
week before I publish them to the list and decide what to do with the
results (get money to print real ballots for the groups who wish to do it or
toss it in the circular file).

>Sooner or later this issue will have to be truly *settled* once and for
>all.  The only way to make it work--not to have it cheerfully accepted
>but to make it at least stick--is to make the results plain enough that
>there can be no more argument over what is really the will of the
>majority.  In order to finally resolve this issue, there must be an
>official, publicly known, properly run ballot.  It must be done in such
>a manner that the results are verifiable and the vote counting clearly
>correct.

I've already said that.  Not going to do it til I know that this is, in
fact, a popular enough action *by the people*.  Also, if there are groups
that wish to be included or excluded on the edges of the area proposed, we
need to know about them so as to include them in our idea of what the
boudries should be.

>Actually, I would prefer to settle it in proper 10th century
>fashion--trial by combat.  Hold the Ansteorran Seccession War.  Pick a
>time far enough in the future that people can get ready, get a site more
>or less in the middle to equalize travel requirements, have the
>adherents both pro and con armor up on opposite sides of the field, and
>let God defend the right.  Like with campaign funds in Presidential
>elections, open the coffers to help defray fighters' travel expenses.
>Forbid mercenaries--this is nobody else's business.

NO WAY!!! I don't even want the word 'secession' to come from my lips!  I'm
an Ansteorran and I, for one, can't see a time when I'd ever even consider
wanting to say that word to my king.  *ick*  *bleck*  *ptoooie*  I may be a
loudmouth advocate for more authenticity but doing it that way gets waaaay
to close to treason for Ritter Dieterich the 15th c. knight who is in fealty
to his king.

This thing we're considering must *bolster* not *rend* our kingdom.  Using
that icky word, IMO, really stresses us more than it aids us as a group, a
community, a familly.

>Obviously, those who show up in the opposing arrays vote with their
>presence, but how would you allow for the opinions of those who can't
>fight for some reason?  We could set things up like the Gulf War, where
>the noncombatants have some way in expressing their opinions to win war
>points for their side.
>
>Some people talk about wanting to do principalities because forming them
>would be something new, something fun . . . Well, this would be
>something unique in Ansteorran history; maybe SCA history.  Publicize it
>properly, and people will come from all over the known world to watch
>(and drop their money).  It would be a truly once-in-a-lifetime
>opportunity for theatrical flair.

Mr. Personna-Play-Advocate says: "For once, there's some flair you can
KEEP."  Not even my haberdasher, middle class peasant dungball that he is,
would raise up in arms against his countrymen.

Dieterich
The Kings Man