ANST - Principality petitions/seccession war

Keith Hood jemuga at freewwweb.com
Thu Feb 19 10:56:08 PST 1998

Because of a private post I received, I publicly apologize to anyone who
feels personally slighted by my words in this argument.  I swear that I
feel no personal animosity in this matter.  Apparently I have gotten too
wrapped up in my rhetoric, and have not made that clear enough.  In
whatever postings I make in the future, and they will be fewer, I will
strive to maintain courtesy and a neutral tone.

To answer 'what then' question I received:  If a kingdom-wide vote went
in favor of forming principalities, I would shrug, probably mutter a bad
word or two, and then shut up.  I am perfectly willing to quietly abide
by the results of such a vote.  If I wound up living in a principality,
I would keep trying to enjoy the SCA and let it go.

I was actually glad to read Ritter Dietrich's words about seccession.
>From reading many of the pro-principality posts, it seemed to me that a
lot of supporters want, or at least think that principalities must be
assumed to be, just the first step to new kingdoms.  I don't want to see
the kingdom divided; that's my whole point.  But it looked to me like a
whole raft of people do.

I agree that the thing to do is bolster and enhance this kingdom and SCA
life in it.  I disagree on means.

As for my comment about jumping straight to petitions:  dozens of people
were already discussing principalty names and designs for arms before
the word 'petition' appeared.  The posts were filled with people who
apparently took the matter of having a quorum as being already settled;
I was reading talk about where to draw boundaries before anything about
polls or ballots appeared.

--
A long bow and a strong bow,
And let the sky grow dark.

      --  Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers"  --
		     by Robert E. Howard, who should be
		       the patron saint of Ansteorra