ANST - King's College

Jodi McMaster jmcmaste at accd.edu
Thu Feb 19 13:24:19 PST 1998

At 02:37 PM 2/19/98 -0600, Teleri wrote:
>Grafin:
>
>I have a couple of options for you to consider. One is to teach
>beadmaking, which I have done several times with good results. Not all
>sites will allow this, however, so please be sure to check with them if
>you want this class. It involves the use of two small blow torches,
>fueled by MAPP gas. The torches are mounted in stabilizing bases, and
>while I always bring a fire extinguisher, I have never had cause to use
>it. If you want this class and can get it approved, I can give you more
>specifics on that.
>
>Another thing I can do is more of a lecture-with-handouts on the
>development of glass technology, beginning in antiquity and coming up
>through the Renaissance. This would include the manufacture of glass
>vessels, beads, windows, and other items, and possibly feature a video
>on some glassmakers in Afghanistan whose methodology has been unchanged
>for centuries. I suspect that the appeal of this might not be as broad
>as the first option (though of course *I* find it fascinating!); in any
>event, if either of these classes would be of interest, let me know.
>
>Either class can be done in a one-hour slot; because the beadmaking
>class can only take two students at a time, there is usually demand for
>more than one slot for that class.

Okay, back off, I've got dibs!

That said, I'll dispose of the growling persona and return to my normally
scheduled tone:

What's the possibility of having a glass symposium at the College for all
the various glass disciplines for anyone interested in learning as well as
sharing between those with a common interest in glass-working?  I've worked
in cold glass techniques for a while and have done some warm and working my
way up to hot--but not in the SCA context--it'd be fun to have an exchange
of ideas and techniques and sources for documentation!

AElfwyn, salivating at the mention of the shiny stuff.