ANST - P-word

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu Feb 19 21:16:31 PST 1998

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Pug Bainter <pug at pug.net> qwrote:
> There is 1 thing to remember, that the groups have to be
> contiguous. I would hope this meant you couldn't leave one
> group in the middle out just because they voted against
> it.

No, they could be included in a principality.  "Contiguous"
doesn't mean "convex" in the geometric sense.  However, that
principality couldn't go kingdom (without a special
dispensation from the Board).  The parent kingdom would
thereby lose contiguity.

> Btw, does anyone know what the guidelines are for voting
> and petitions?

That and many other questions are answered in Corpora, Part
V.  It can be found via http://www.sca.org , under the
Governing Documents links (if memory serves).  From my older
copy:

      2. Principalities.  A principality is a part of a
      kingdom which has the right to select a reigning
      Prince and Princess by combat.  A branch or contiguous
      group of branches within a kingdom may petition for
      principality status if the resulting entity would
      fulfill the requirements listed below.

         a. At least 100 subscribing members.

         b. A full staff of prospective Great Officers, each
         of whom is acceptable to the kingdom officer
         responsible for the direction of that aspect of
         Society activity, and such other officers as
         kingdom law and custom may require.

         c. A name and device registered with the College of Arms.

         d. Consensus favoring advancement in branch status,
         among the members in the proposed principality.

         e. A record of well-attended events together with
         regular study or guild meetings, demonstrations,
         and other educational activities for the benefit of
         the members and the community at large.

         f. Sufficient members of the orders conferring
         Patents of Arms to foster the development of those
         orders and the skills they represent within the
         principality.

         g. Sufficient fighters of such caliber as to
         provide appropriate competition for the Coronet.

         h. A body of principality law which provides for
         the maintenance and succession of the Coronet, and
         for any other matters delegated or permitted by the
         parent kingdom.  Draft laws, in the form they will
         be presented to the victors of the first Coronet
         Lists, must accompany a petition for principality
         status.

Somewhat after this are listed procedures for advancement in
status -- the review, registration, petition, polling, and
all that.  And don't miss Section I dealing with membership.

Daniel "Memory serves, but Reality spikes and Memory doesn't
save.  Side out.  Reality rotates.  14 serving 0.  Game point."
de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work address.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.