ANST - Court Herald Style

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Jan 7 09:19:57 PST 1998

I have some experience as a court herald and I always use a script.  I
just have this aversion to starting with, for example, "This opens the
court of Edwin fitz Lloyd, Baron of the Steppes, in the presence of
Their Majesties ... um ... err ..." (as one possible example), or
worse, "in the presence of Their Majesties Inman and Alianora" or
whoever his earlier queen was -- I DON'T WANT ANY INFORMATION ABOUT
ANYONE BUT ATHENA.  DON'T YOU DARE REPLY.  IF THE ONLY NAME I'M
FAMILIAR WITH IS ATHENA, I'M LESS LIKELY TO MAKE THAT MISTAKE.
<plugging his ears> LA LA LA LA LA ... I'M NOT LISTENING ...

Another important thing to script is the closing, lest you forget to
vivat the queen or something.

When someone wants an announcement made in court, I ask them to write
it themselves, so I don't mangle it further.

I also write down the people who are getting awards.

I also write an overall timeline -- for example: royal open, local
open, baron speaks, baronial (announcements, non-armig, AoA, low-level
kingdom in baronial (Thistles, usu.), local armig), crown speaks,
crown biz, baronial last announcements, local close, royal close.
That's just one example.

--
Daniel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com