ANST - Court Herald Style

Lisa A. May xylm1 at ttacs.ttu.edu
Wed Jan 7 09:54:49 PST 1998

At 08:41 AM 1/7/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Baron Leofric has undoubtedly given the best advice for an aspiring Court
Herald... get a script! I recall the court he refers below...

While I don't doubt that a full script would be helpful indeed, at least
have an outline of what's happening during court.  One thing that we always
made a point of doing was to provide our heralds with a typewritten,
triple-spaced agenda for each court.  That way we could decide the order in
which we wished to give out the awards without spending time at the event
conferring with our herald.

The typewritten portion had the recipient's name, the award to be given,
and the reason they were getting the award -- this allowed our herald to
remind us why we were giving each award so that we could say something
personal to each person (remember, Crowns seldom know all the persons they
are rewarding).  We took stuff from the award recommendations to comment on
so that we could personalize each award, so we really appreciated complete
recommendations.

We triple spaced the agenda so that our herald could add new business that
came up during the event in appropriate spots.  The agenda was also very
helpful when the herald wrote up his or her report on the event.

Probably what we appreciated most in a herald was the ability to quietly
remind us of what we needed to know in order to personalize each award
given -- little tidbits about someone that we didn't know but that he had
found out about.  Also, the ability to ad-lib when necessary to keep court
from dragging when there was just a ton of business to get through.  Of
course, your freedom to do that depends on the Noble you are heralding for,
but comic relief can be a life-saver during a long court.

Margaret

Countess Margaret ny Connor
Barony of Bonwicke
Kingdom of Ansteorra
xylm1 at ttacs.ttu.edu

"And do as adversaries do in law, strive mightily, then eat and drink as
friends."  W. Shakespeare