ANST - A&S "skill ranks"...34~

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue Jan 6 09:38:51 PST 1998

George wrote:
> Please tell me, if you can, what is the difference between a "N" herald and
> or...say... an "A",  "B", or even "G" herald........?

Oddly enough, you've hit upon initials for some of the standard
subdivisions of SCA heralds:
N: name
A: armory
B: book (name and/or armory research, conflict-mongering, and
   rule-splitting ("Yes, but Maimonides says ..."))
G: I dunno.  "Groupies"?  In my dreams!  Goofy?  Giggly?  Grumpy?  (I
   know the principal of the latter group ...)

Others:
F: field ("Foo and Bar, take the field!  Baz and
   Quux, arm yourselves!  Fubar and Snafu, make ye ready! ...
   Combattants, salute whom ye will!"  That stuph.)
C: court
big-H: having the titled rank of Herald (e.g., Star Herald, Asterisk
       Herald) versus the area of interest of heraldry (e.g., a
       pursuivant).

OK, OK, I'll 'fess up: one-letter abbrevs aren't used.  I just wanted
to wander off onto a digression.  I was using "N" in the mathematical
sense, as in "Consider N johns and M prostitutes.  What is the minimum
number of condoms C required to make sure that all N johns can have
vaginal intercourse with each of the M prostitutes with nobody coming
in contact with anyone else's bodily fluids?  Assume that no condoms
break."

(I don't know the general answer.  For N = 2, M = 2, then C = 2, but
you must allow reversing and double-bagging.)

Amra calling me "legendary" is misleading -- Idi Amin is legendary
too.  I'm notable for silliness, ribaldry (if not obscenity), and
stupid puns.

Daniel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work account.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us ... is wrong tool.  Never use this.